A Travellerspoint blog

Sunday - The journey home

A nightmare

overcast 24 °C
View Rhodes on SirRogue58's travel map.

The coach arrived at 12:50 and picked us up and a few other families too. We then went into Pefkos to another hotel to get some more homeward bound people. But there seemed to be a mess up as there were more people here than on the list. With a bit of toing and froing it got sorted as there were enough seats on the coach to accommodate everyone.

After a little while we were going along a narrow winding mountainous road when a call came from down the coach for the driver to stop. One of the passengers had puked up down the aisle. Seems like we had a boozing Brit on board who had too much to drink all day. So here was another delay, He got off the coach for some fresh air and whilst the driver made the culprit’s girlfriend clean up the mess. Then we were on our way again. But 10 mins on still winding through the dark narrow mountainous roads, the driver had another coach behind signal him to stop. After a while we found out that the water for the air conditioning was pouring out the back. So we were stuck there until another coach arrived to take us on to the airport.

Once we got to the airport the travel rep went in to see what desks we had to check in at. There were 2 lots of passengers on the coach, some for London Gatwick, and the rest, like us, going to Manchester. When she came back she told the Gatwick ones where to go and then told the Manchester crowed that our flight had been delayed for 12 hours and they would put us up overnight in a hotel. By the time we got to the hotel it was 4:30 am!!!!

Getting to the 7th floor room we quickly realised there was nothing to drink, no tea making facilities and also there was a warning message not to drink the water from the taps. After phoning reception we found we had to go back to reception where there was a water fountain, from which we fetched some water back to our room.
On the way back we were met another couple from our coach who showed us their room which had not been cleaned before it was allocated to them.

It did not take us long to get to sleep but by 8:30 we needed to be up for breakfast. It was then that we realised we were in an all inclusive hotel. Maybe the champagne on the way into the breakfast room gave it away. After a good cooked breakfast we went back to the room to relax and watch some TV. We really enjoyed CNN as there was a comedy news show.

At 12 we had to be checked out of the room, which we did easily as we wanted to get home as quick as possible. After a buffet lunch of pork chop and salad with Greek potatoes which again was free our coaches arrived. This time we were told there would be another hour delay.

Waiting at the airport was not too bad as we were right by the runway and we could see the aircraft coming and going also we had some magazines to read. The only problem was being thirsty. After waiting in a queue for what must have been 20 mins I was charged €6.60 for 2 bottles of coke!!!! That’s £3 for a small bottle. I’m sure they are ripping off people who can’t bring fluids past passport control.

Oh well. We finally boarded our aircraft getting on at the front and then finding we were sat at the back. Once sat down we relaxed. We even enjoyed the pre-flight safety film which had children playing all the parts.
After spending €11 on a whisky and whisky & coke (another rip off) we settled to watch the onboard entertainment films were “New in Town” & “Race to Witch Mountain”. Flying back in the daylight was nice we could look down on the Dalmatian coast and see all the islands. The meal this time was ok it was tasty but it was only sausages mash and veg. But anyway, we were on our way home!!!

We landed at Manchester in the rain we had heard that since we left it had rained every day in Birmingham except the middle Saturday. We got our cases (minus 1 strap) and we were on our way to the bus to take us to the car park.

After getting on the wrong coach (right company wrong coach) we eventually got on the right one but just as the driver was about to pull away He was waved down as some one had left a bag behind, Sue’s bag. Hahaha.

We got to the car and asked for directions back to the motorway, it was a good job we asked as one of the entry roads was closed off for maintenance. The instructions seemed simple enough but we still missed the turning. Soooo tired by this time. But eventually we got on the right road and arrived back home at 11:30pm. The holiday, over.

Posted by SirRogue58 08:13 Archived in Greece Tagged manchester dalmatian_coast rhodes lindos faliraki

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.